The National Institute of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (NIHERST) will be hosting a Community Science Week in Diego Martin at
St. Anthony’s College from 4th – 9th November 2019.
The event intends to promote and advance children and adults' knowledge and understanding of science, technology and innovation (STI) in order to enable them to make more informed choices about scientific issues and apply new developments in science and technology in their daily lives via:
- Stimulating visitors’ interest in STI
- Building visitors’ appreciation of the relevance of science and technology in daily life
- Increasing the level of science literacy among visitors
- Developing visitors’ 21st century skills such as creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication and teamwork
- Providing students with career choices in STI
The offering will include a mixture of interactive exhibits, workshops, lectures challenges, demonstrations, a mini career forum ( Wednesday 6th November 2019) and cultural entertainment. All activities are designed to illustrate a variety of basic and applied scientific principles intended to engage student and general public visitors in a fun experiential learning atmosphere. A variety of appropriately themed government and private agencies, professional bodies and NGOs will be invited to showcase the science and technology involved in their operations through the mounting of displays or by leading a discussion.