Every year the US Embassy and The National Institute for Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (NIHERST) accept applications from sixth form students from specified education districts for a scholarship to attend the National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) in west Virginia, USA. The NYSC experience is offered at no cost to its participants so that selected delegates may attend regardless of their financial status. This year 3 students will be selected from eligible districts - North East District, St. George East District, Port of Spain District, Caroni District. The deadline for applications is
17th extended to Sunday 23rd May, 2021.
The National Youth Science Camp’s summer program has offered educational forums and recreational activities that encourage the development of thoughtful scientific leadership. The National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp) has traditionally been a residential science education program that honors and challenges two graduating high school science students from each state in the United States and others from selected countries around the world. As a result of the global health crisis, however, the 2021 NYSCamp will be an entirely virtual experience which will include world-class lectures, directed studies, and seminars with prestigious and up-and-coming STEM professionals from across the United States. Delegates are challenged to explore new areas in the biological and physical sciences, art, and music, and engage with staff members, STEM professionals, and one another in exciting, fun and meaningful ways. Even though delegates cannot gather in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia this year, the 2021 Virtual NYSCamp will be an engaging, stimulating, and unforgettable educational experience! Learn more at www.nyscamp.org
When will the camp be held?
Delegates MUST attend the entire NYSCamp program virtually beginning Monday, June 28, 2021 and ending on Wednesday, July 21, 2021. Although other camp activities will be offered, selected delegates must commit to a minimum 4.5 hour daily virtual participation requirement between the hours of 6:00PM to 10:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) for the duration of the camp.
Potential delegates to the NYSCamp must meet all of the following guidelines:
- Must be a resident of Trinidad and Tobago and be 16, 17, or 18 years of age on July 1, 2021.
- Must have strong skills in spoken English
- Because the camp will be virtual, the J-1 Visa eligibility requirement has been waived this year.
- Must have documented superior academic proficiency, including recognition in STEM.
- Must have documented leadership abilities and social maturity.
- Must have documented skills and achievements outside the realm of STEM and outside academia
- Must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore new topics.
- Must intend to pursue higher education and a career in a STEM-related field.
- Must be willing and able to participate daily for the entire duration of the NYSCamp program.
How do I apply?.
Submit, to NIHERST, a completed application package that consists of:
- 1. The completed International Delegate Application Cover Sheet;
- 2. A letter detailing your qualifications, how you would benefit from the NYSCamp
experience, and your thoughts on the social impacts of science (must be typed);
- 3. A resume detailing your academic achievements and extra-curricular activities;
- 4. A recent academic transcript (including standardized test scores when possible),
- 5. A letter of support from a teacher or research mentor emphasizing academic
achievements, interest in sciences or mathematics, leadership potential, and
Scan documents, in order, items 1 – 5, as described above and email your completed application or questions to email@example.com
Alternately, you may mail your application to
the Selection Coordinator, Ms. Stacey-Ann Sarjusingh
Level 13, Ministry of Education Towers,
5 St. Vincent Street,
Your package must be received no later than
Monday, 17th Sunday 23rd May, 2021. Do NOT send your application material directly to the National Youth Science Foundation. Email applications preferred.