The National Institute of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (NIHERST) will host a carnival-themed Science Week at the National Science Centre from 18th – 23rd February 2019. Scheduled opening hours are: Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Saturday: 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Stimulating visitors’ interest in STI
- Building visitors’ appreciation of the relevance of science and technology in daily life
- Increasing the level of science literacy among visitors
- Developing visitors’ 21st century skills such as creativity, critical thinking, problem-solving, communication and teamwork
- Providing students with career choices in STI
The offering will include a mixture of interactive exhibits, workshops, lectures challenges, demonstrations, a mini career forum and cultural entertainment. All activities are designed to illustrate a variety of basic and applied scientific principles intended to engage student and general public visitors in a fun experiential learning atmosphere. A variety of appropriately themed government and private agencies, professional bodies and NGOs will be invited to showcase the science and technology involved in their operations through the mounting of displays or by leading a discussion.
Expected visitors include early childhood care and education, primary and secondary schools, as well as the general public will benefit from this initiative. Visits will be scheduled to ensure a maximum daily attendance of 400 – 500 visitors.