What is CYSF?
The Caribbean Youth Science Forum (CYSF) is a regional event that brings together lower sixth form science students from all over the Caribbean for a full week of educational, social and cultural activities. It is the longest standing non-formal science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education programme for nurturing the next generation of scientists and engineers in the region.
Launched in 1999 with 124 students from 12 countries, CYSF has positively influenced over 2500 students and continues to grow and engage students in an intensive residential week of activities. It is geared towards inspiring and mentoring young people towards advanced studies and careers in science, technology and innovation (STI), and fostering a deeper understanding of the critical role of STI in society. The week-long program offers an invaluable opportunity for students to increase their knowledge, broaden their horizons, and develop a strong sense of regional identity as they engage with top professionals in diverse fields, as well as their peers from other countries.
- Who should attend CYSF?
Sixth Form Science Students
CYSF brings together sixth form students, pursing studies in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects, from countries across the region including:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- CYSF Today
CYSF offers a first rate science education experience in a non-formal but stimulating environment. It provides the right mix of social and cultural activities making this a top annual "summer holiday destination" for our Caribbean and Latin American students.
- CYSF Objectives
The Caribbean Youth Science Forum is aimed at developing the next generation of science and technology professionals from the region whose knowledge and skills contribute to the improvement of society. It provides a platform for lower sixth form science students to:
- deepen their understanding of the role and application of STI in society;
- expand their knowledge on important issues in STI that are relevant to Caribbean development;
- develop skills in leadership, communication and teamwork;
- develop their creative and critical thinking and problem-solving skills; and
- build their knowledge of careers in science and technology.
- Information Requirements For CYSF 2019 Registration
Please ensure you have the following information before commencing the CYSF registration process:
- Passport picture (to be uploaded)
2.5mb: png , jpg, jpeg formats
- School Principal’s contact information
o Full Name
o Phone number
o Email address
- Scanned copies of CXC certificates (to be uploaded)
2.5mb: pdf, doc. docx. jpg, jpeg, png formats
- Statement of Interest (to be uploaded))
Must be signed and stamped by Principal
2.5MB: pdf, doc. docx. jpg, jpeg, png formats
- Pre-Forum Challenge video clip
The 60 second video clip must be no larger than 100mb
(mp4, wma, mpeg, avi., mov. formats)
Describe a common, everyday problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution. Demonstrate and present your solution in the video clip and submit.
- Passport picture (to be uploaded)
- Selection Criteria for CYSF 2019 Participants
- Participation is open to science students at the Form Six (6) levels – lower and upper.
- Participants must be passionate about and have a keen interest in science, evidenced by the statement of interest (see online Application form).
- Participants must show above average proficiency learning and innovation skills (creativity and innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, communication and collaboration), evidenced by performance in a pre-forum challenge.
Pre-forum Challenge: Describe a common, everyday problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution. Demonstrate and present your solution in a 60 second video clip and submit to complete your application.